Accidental Damages/Outstanding Fines

Failing to pay for damages arising from an accident or having outstanding fines

If you fail to pay a judgment arising from an accident, anywhere in Canada, the Registrar of Motor Vehicles in Alberta may suspend your current driver’s licence and vehicle registration, and you will not be able to renew them until you pay what you owe, under s.102(1) of the Traffic Safety Act. 

The same goes for any other outstanding fines you get in Alberta, such as parking or speeding tickets.  If you do not pay them in the amount of time provided, you will not be able to get or renew your licence and registration in Alberta.


Next section